Supreme leader says Iran will resist sanctions
Tehran: Iran will not falter in the face of Western-imposed sanctions, the country`s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, said in comments broadcast on state television on Monday.
"The firm decision of the Islamic Republic is to resist the pressures" of Western powers, Khamenei said.
"While the Iranian people have travelled the road to success and see the signs of new victories to come, the (Western) oppressor is trying to frighten the Iranian people and officials by brandishing the threat of sanctions."
While analysts and some in Iran`s government have said the latest round of sanctions have hit Iran`s economy, the top leader dismissed claims that the strategy will block his country from pursuing its goals.
"Western officials have declared on a number of
occasions that, with sanctions and pressure, they want to
discourage the people and lead officials to renounce their
plans, but they are mistaken and they will not achieve their
objectives," said Khamenei.
The European Union is joining the United States in ratcheting up sanctions on Iran over its nuclear programme, which the West believes masks a drive to develop an atomic weapons capability.
Iran, which insists its nuclear programme is
exclusively for peaceful purposes, has said it is "not
concerned" by the imminent EU embargo. It says it will easily
be able to sell its oil to other markets.
Iranian political and military officials have
threatened to close the strategic Strait of Hormuz at the
entrance to the Gulf if their country is threatened by
military action or if sanctions halt oil exports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- HTC 10 smartphone launched in India at Rs 52,990
- Rio Olympics: Police train dogs to sniff out terror threat at biggest sporting extravaganza
- Photo alert! Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor spotted on the streets of London
- 'Meri Pyaari Bindu' shoot diaries: Check out Parineeti Chopra-Ayushmann Khurrana's joyride!
- Radhika Apte’s ‘Phobia’ will break stereotype of Indian horror films