Suriname leader`s son arrested on US drug charge
San Juan: The son of the president of the South American country of Suriname has been arrested on US drug and weapon charges, federal prosecutors said.
Dino Bouterse, director of Suriname`s anti-terrorism unit, was arrested Thursday in Panama by local authorities and turned over to US agents, said Preet Bharara, US attorney for the Southern District of New York yesterday.
His arrest came as his father, Desi Bouterse, a former coup leader and himself convicted of drug offences, hosted the annual UNEASIER summit for leaders of South American countries. Officials in Suriname announced yesterday that the opening statement by Desi Boaters would be postponed by several hours.
Local government officials have declined further comment. Dino Boaters pleaded not guilty yesterday afternoon before Magistrate Judge James C. Francis in Manhattan federal court after being flown to New York late Thursday. Prosecutors asked that Boaters be held, and the request was not immediately opposed.
Buttress`s court attorney Christopher Flood declined to comment outside court. A hearing was set for Sept 9 Boaters is a significant drug trafficker," said Derek Malts, special agent-in-charge with the US Drug Enforcement Administration.
Boaters faces a US federal indictment alleging he worked with a man identified as Edmund Quincy Mintaka to smuggle cocaine into the United States starting in or about December 2011.It also charges him with violating firearms laws by brandishing a light anti-tank weapon during the narcotics offence.
The indictment says Boaters was involved in smuggling a suitcase filled with 10 kilogrammes of cocaine aboard a commercial flight from Suriname to the Caribbean in late July.
Federal prosecutors said Mintaka was arrested Thursday in the Caribbean island of Trinidad.
Boater`s father is a convicted drug trafficker who was elected president of Suriname in July 2010. Shortly after his inauguration, Boaters appointed his son as director of Surinam`s Counter Terrorist Unit, drawing heavy criticism from opposition legislators who expressed concern that no legal framework was created for the unit to operate. In 2011, unit officials were criticised for acting as police officers when they killed two men suspected in several violent crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi