Surprise check reveals problems in Russian military
Moscow: A series of random checks in the Russian Armed Forces has revealed a number of systemic shortcomings, General Staff chief Valery Gerasimov said.
Combat alert checks were carried out in the Central and South Military Districts, the Airborne Assault Forces (VDV) and military transport aviation units.
Alert duty officers in some military units demonstrated an insufficiently prompt and ineffective response in processing orders via automated combat command and control systems, especially in VDV troops and at the 201st Military Base in Tajikistan, Gerasimov said.
He criticised the level of cooperation between the 201st Military Base command and the local Tajik authorities.
Military vehicle drivers, mechanics and operators showed insufficient handling skills, leading to delays and disruptions on the march and during the fulfillment of combat training missions, particularly in the 28th Motorized Rifle Brigade of the Central Military District, he said.
Other problems included low-accuracy shooting and shelling results, especially by tanks and infantry fighting vehicles.
"The majority of subunits only received `C` grades," the General Staff chief said, adding that many officers commissioned last year failed to demonstrate good overall results.
Gerasimov ordered military commanders at all levels to analyse the causes of their problems, draw up remedial plans and follow them meticulously.
The defence ministry earlier said the checks were carried out for the first time in the past 20 years and will now be conducted on a regular basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery