Suspected al Qaeda attack kills 3 in south Yemen
Sanaa: Yemeni security officials say a suspected al Qaeda suicide bomber attacked a checkpoint manned by pro-government tribesmen in the country`s south, killing three militiamen.
The officials say the attacker walked up to the checkpoint in the city of Zinjibar and detonated his explosives-laden vest today. The city was under al Qaeda control for months until a military offensive reclaimed the territory earlier this year.
The Yemeni officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.
Local tribesmen formed militias and fought both alongside the military in the government`s offensive against al Qaeda and also alone in efforts to uproot the militants from villages and towns in the south.
They frequently come under attack from al Qaeda, which is still active in Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick