Suspected al Qaeda attack kills 3 in south Yemen
Sanaa: Yemeni security officials say a suspected al Qaeda suicide bomber attacked a checkpoint manned by pro-government tribesmen in the country`s south, killing three militiamen.
The officials say the attacker walked up to the checkpoint in the city of Zinjibar and detonated his explosives-laden vest today. The city was under al Qaeda control for months until a military offensive reclaimed the territory earlier this year.
The Yemeni officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.
Local tribesmen formed militias and fought both alongside the military in the government`s offensive against al Qaeda and also alone in efforts to uproot the militants from villages and towns in the south.
They frequently come under attack from al Qaeda, which is still active in Yemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi