Suspected al-Qaida figure killed in raid: Yemen
San`a, Yemen: Yemeni security forces killed a suspected al-Qaida figure and arrested four others in a raid on a house in a remote mountainous province, the region`s governor said Wednesday.
Elsewhere in Shabwa province, suspected al-Qaida fighters ambushed a patrol, killing two members of the security forces and wounding four others, officials said.
The violence comes as Yemen has stepped up its operations against al-Qaida with increased help from the United States, which has ramped up its funding and training of the Yemeni security forces. Washington says al-Qaida`s offshoot in the Arabian Peninsula country has become a global threat after it allegedly plotted the Christmas Day attempt to bomb a U.S. passenger jet.
Shabwa province is one of several where hundreds of al-Qaida fighters are believed to have gained refuge, some protected by tribes disenchanted with the central government.
Shabwa`s governor, Ali Ahmadi, identified the slain militant as Abdullah Mizhar, a native of the province who was on the list of wanted al-Qaida figures. Ahmadi told reporters he was killed in a raid on a house Tuesday night.
Security forces surrounded the house in the mountainous region of Maysaa, about 230 miles (380 kilometers) southeast of the capital, San`a, and exchanged fire with about 20 militants inside, security officials said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the press.
During the fighting, Mizhar was killed, four others were arrested, but the rest escaped, the officials said.
Meanwhile, suspected al-Qaida fighters ambushed a security forces patrol before dawn Wednesday on a winding mountain road near the provincial capital Ataq, the officials said. Two members of the security forces were killed and four others wounded in the fighting at Nakaba, south of Ataq, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead