Suspected extremists abduct 7 foreigners in Nigeria
Abuja: Seven foreigners working for a construction company, mostly Europeans, were kidnapped by gunmen who also killed a guard in Nigeria`s northern state of Bauchi, officials said on Sunday.
The attack last night happened in Jama`re, a town in a rural part of Bauchi. Police and other sources said the abducted men were from Britain, Italy, Greece and Lebanon.
The gunmen killed a guard during their attack. They had earlier stormed a prison and also attacked two local government headquarters.
According to Bauchi state police spokesman, Hassan Muhammed, the person killed was a security guard they saw at the gate before entering the premises of the Setraco construction company from where they kidnapped the foreign workers.
Local government officials in Jama`re, identified those kidnapped as one British citizen, one Greek, one Italian and four Lebanese.
Many attacks, including suicide bombings, killings and explosions in Nigeria`s northern states have been claimed by Islamic extremist group, Boko Haram.
However, a new insurgent group, Ansaru has carried out most of the kidnappings of foreign workers.
A combined rescue operation by Nigerian and British forces for a Briton and Italian the group abducted last year, failed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Madaari' movie review: Irrfan Khan displays brilliance in this thought provoking tale
- Thai cops question UK journalist`s wife over `royal insult`
- Pokemon Go debuts in the country where Pokemon was born!
- Nationwide frenzy as ‘Kabali’ Rajinikanth arrives in style
- This is what Zakir Naik thinks about Narendra Modi, Islamic State and jihad