Suspected extremists abduct 7 foreigners in Nigeria
Abuja: Seven foreigners working for a construction company, mostly Europeans, were kidnapped by gunmen who also killed a guard in Nigeria`s northern state of Bauchi, officials said on Sunday.
The attack last night happened in Jama`re, a town in a rural part of Bauchi. Police and other sources said the abducted men were from Britain, Italy, Greece and Lebanon.
The gunmen killed a guard during their attack. They had earlier stormed a prison and also attacked two local government headquarters.
According to Bauchi state police spokesman, Hassan Muhammed, the person killed was a security guard they saw at the gate before entering the premises of the Setraco construction company from where they kidnapped the foreign workers.
Local government officials in Jama`re, identified those kidnapped as one British citizen, one Greek, one Italian and four Lebanese.
Many attacks, including suicide bombings, killings and explosions in Nigeria`s northern states have been claimed by Islamic extremist group, Boko Haram.
However, a new insurgent group, Ansaru has carried out most of the kidnappings of foreign workers.
A combined rescue operation by Nigerian and British forces for a Briton and Italian the group abducted last year, failed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan