Suspected Islamists steal 125 kg of dynamite in Nigeria
Damaturu: Gunmen suspected to be allied to Islamist sect Boko Haram have stormed a construction site in northeast Nigeria, carting off 125 kg (275 pounds) of dynamite and hundreds of detonators, two security sources said on Wednesday.
The militants struck the Bara area of Yobe state at around 2 am on Monday, the two security sources in Yobe told a news agency, but no shots were heard. One of the sources said the men arrived on four motorcycles, beating and overpowering the site`s private security guards.
The police and military both declined to comment. Officials from the company, a Nigerian firm called Ric Rock, were not immediately available for comment.
The Nigerian military launched a major offensive in May aimed at defeating the Islamists in three northeastern states -- Borno, Yobe and Adamawa -- but that has pushed many of them into hiding, from where they can still launch deadly attacks.
Multiple bomb blasts in Nigeria`s biggest northern city of Kano killed at least 15 people on Monday, underscoring the continuing threat the rebels pose in the north.
Since its initial uprising in 2009, Boko Haram has grown in sophistication, learning bomb-making technology from al Qaeda linked militants in the Sahara to the north.
Videos shown to a news agency by a counter-terrorism official on Sunday showed Boko Haram militants giving detailed instructions on how to make bombs -- including a suicide vest and a car bomb -- in the northern Hausa language, filming how it is done.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog