Suspected Islamists steal 125 kg of dynamite in Nigeria
Damaturu: Gunmen suspected to be allied to Islamist sect Boko Haram have stormed a construction site in northeast Nigeria, carting off 125 kg (275 pounds) of dynamite and hundreds of detonators, two security sources said on Wednesday.
The militants struck the Bara area of Yobe state at around 2 am on Monday, the two security sources in Yobe told a news agency, but no shots were heard. One of the sources said the men arrived on four motorcycles, beating and overpowering the site`s private security guards.
The police and military both declined to comment. Officials from the company, a Nigerian firm called Ric Rock, were not immediately available for comment.
The Nigerian military launched a major offensive in May aimed at defeating the Islamists in three northeastern states -- Borno, Yobe and Adamawa -- but that has pushed many of them into hiding, from where they can still launch deadly attacks.
Multiple bomb blasts in Nigeria`s biggest northern city of Kano killed at least 15 people on Monday, underscoring the continuing threat the rebels pose in the north.
Since its initial uprising in 2009, Boko Haram has grown in sophistication, learning bomb-making technology from al Qaeda linked militants in the Sahara to the north.
Videos shown to a news agency by a counter-terrorism official on Sunday showed Boko Haram militants giving detailed instructions on how to make bombs -- including a suicide vest and a car bomb -- in the northern Hausa language, filming how it is done.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Lifestyle changes to prevent diabetes can also cut cancer risk: Experts
- Odisha shocker: No ambulance, staff break bones of woman's dead body to carry it on a sling
- Insult to Prophet Mohammad: Dispose off case against Hindu Mahasabha leader in 4 weeks, SC tells Allahabad HC
- SHOCKING! Man beaten to death in Delhi for golgappas - Watch
- RSS questions Rahul Gandhi's remark, demands apology