Suspected POW mass grave found in Philippines
Manila: Philippine workers at a swimming pool site stumbled on a mass grave containing 14 skeletons believed to be prisoners of war from the Japanese occupation in World War II, police said Sunday.
Police cordoned off the area in Nasugbu town, about a three-hour drive south of the capital Manila, shortly after the workers discovered the remains Friday.
"Further investigation disclosed that the said site was a former Japanese garrison during World War II and the residents there believed that the recovered skeletal remains were victims of war," police said in a statement.
A forensic investigation was being carried out to determine the nationalities of the victims, although they are believed to be Filipinos, police said.
The Philippines, a former US colony, fell to Japanese control in 1942 during World War II, and the three-year occupation is considered to be one of the darkest periods of the country`s history.
Thousands of Filipino and American soldiers died during the occupation, many of them starved to death in Japanese garrisons around the country, historians said.
US General Douglas MacArthur, supreme commander of allied forces in the Southwest Pacific, eventually returned to retake control of large parts of the Philippines until Japan formally surrendered in 1945.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow