Suspected radical Islamists kill four in Nigeria
Abuja: Suspected militants of Boko Haram
on Monday killed at least four people, including a seven-year-old
girl, in Nigeria`s northern Yobe state, amid a wave of attacks
by the the radical Islamist group.
The suspected militants opened fire into the house of a
police sergeant in the northeastern town of Potiskum, killing
his seven-year-old-daughter. The police sergeant managed to
escape by scaling a fence. The shooting injured two of her
The group, which wants to install Sharia rule in the
country, also shot dead three people in a separate raid after
In the neighbouring town of Dikwa, which is the second
largest emirate for ethnic Kanuris, the group set ablaze a
police station, a bank and hotel.
They killed a former local council chief, Babagana Ali
Karim, a police sergeant and another civilian, forcing the
deployment of troops from nearby military units in order to
stop the violence.
Three member of the readical group were also killed in
crossfire between Boko Haram and soldiers, military spokesman
Lt. Col. Sagir Musa said.
"Between 01:35 to 02:45 hours on Monday, suspected Boko
Haran terrorists attacked and burnt Dikwa police station,
Unity Bank, Freedom hotel and attempted to burn Dikwa local
government secretariat," he said.
Musa said items recovered include an unregistered Isuzu
pick up van, a pump action gun, an AK47 rifle, a double barrel
gun, a box loaded with assorted ammunition, 19 empty magazine
of AK47 rifle, a bullet proof jacket, a crash helmet and a DVD
The latest violence blamed on Boko Haram comes a day
after over 40 people were killed in two car bomb explosions
near a church during Easter Sunday services in the northern
Nigerian city of Kaduna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks