Suspected radical Islamists kill four in Nigeria
Abuja: Suspected militants of Boko Haram
on Monday killed at least four people, including a seven-year-old
girl, in Nigeria`s northern Yobe state, amid a wave of attacks
by the the radical Islamist group.
The suspected militants opened fire into the house of a
police sergeant in the northeastern town of Potiskum, killing
his seven-year-old-daughter. The police sergeant managed to
escape by scaling a fence. The shooting injured two of her
The group, which wants to install Sharia rule in the
country, also shot dead three people in a separate raid after
In the neighbouring town of Dikwa, which is the second
largest emirate for ethnic Kanuris, the group set ablaze a
police station, a bank and hotel.
They killed a former local council chief, Babagana Ali
Karim, a police sergeant and another civilian, forcing the
deployment of troops from nearby military units in order to
stop the violence.
Three member of the readical group were also killed in
crossfire between Boko Haram and soldiers, military spokesman
Lt. Col. Sagir Musa said.
"Between 01:35 to 02:45 hours on Monday, suspected Boko
Haran terrorists attacked and burnt Dikwa police station,
Unity Bank, Freedom hotel and attempted to burn Dikwa local
government secretariat," he said.
Musa said items recovered include an unregistered Isuzu
pick up van, a pump action gun, an AK47 rifle, a double barrel
gun, a box loaded with assorted ammunition, 19 empty magazine
of AK47 rifle, a bullet proof jacket, a crash helmet and a DVD
The latest violence blamed on Boko Haram comes a day
after over 40 people were killed in two car bomb explosions
near a church during Easter Sunday services in the northern
Nigerian city of Kaduna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest