Suspected radical Islamists kill four in Nigeria
Abuja: Suspected militants of Boko Haram
on Monday killed at least four people, including a seven-year-old
girl, in Nigeria`s northern Yobe state, amid a wave of attacks
by the the radical Islamist group.
The suspected militants opened fire into the house of a
police sergeant in the northeastern town of Potiskum, killing
his seven-year-old-daughter. The police sergeant managed to
escape by scaling a fence. The shooting injured two of her
The group, which wants to install Sharia rule in the
country, also shot dead three people in a separate raid after
In the neighbouring town of Dikwa, which is the second
largest emirate for ethnic Kanuris, the group set ablaze a
police station, a bank and hotel.
They killed a former local council chief, Babagana Ali
Karim, a police sergeant and another civilian, forcing the
deployment of troops from nearby military units in order to
stop the violence.
Three member of the readical group were also killed in
crossfire between Boko Haram and soldiers, military spokesman
Lt. Col. Sagir Musa said.
"Between 01:35 to 02:45 hours on Monday, suspected Boko
Haran terrorists attacked and burnt Dikwa police station,
Unity Bank, Freedom hotel and attempted to burn Dikwa local
government secretariat," he said.
Musa said items recovered include an unregistered Isuzu
pick up van, a pump action gun, an AK47 rifle, a double barrel
gun, a box loaded with assorted ammunition, 19 empty magazine
of AK47 rifle, a bullet proof jacket, a crash helmet and a DVD
The latest violence blamed on Boko Haram comes a day
after over 40 people were killed in two car bomb explosions
near a church during Easter Sunday services in the northern
Nigerian city of Kaduna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka