`Suspected Russian spies arrested in Germany`
Berlin: Two suspected Russian spies operating
in Germany for more than 20 years have been arrested in the
first case of its kind since German reunification, a report
said on Saturday.
Der Spiegel said the man and woman, who lived as a couple,
were arrested Tuesday when police raided their home at
Ballingen, between Stuttgart and Cologne in western Germany.
It said the woman was caught listening to coded messages.
The report said the pair, who denied the accusations
against them, had German names and Austrian passports which
gave the man`s birthplace as Argentina and the woman`s as
Peru, which had turned out to be false.
Der Spiegel said investigators presumed the couple had
begun spying in Germany for the former Soviet KGB and were now
working for Russian foreign intelligence, though the exact
nature of their activities was not clear.
It said German domestic intelligence had been alerted
after the discovery of a network of Russian spies in the
United States, who were sent back in a swap for US agents in
July last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman