Suspected shoplifters in New York found with human foetus
New York: Security guards who stopped two 17-year-old girls suspected of shoplifting at a Victoria`s Secret store on Thursday found a human foetus inside a bag one of them was carrying, New York City police said.
Both teens were placed in police custody after the discovery on Thursday afternoon at the midtown Manhattan lingerie store in Herald Square, New York City Police Detective Michael DeBonis said.
One of the girls was taken to Bellevue Hospital, police said. DeBonis declined to comment on local media reports that the girl taken to the hospital may have recently given birth.
"It was a human foetus," said Sergeant John Buthorn. "The medical examiner will now determine the cause of death."
Both girls were charged with criminal possession of stolen property and petit larceny, Buthorn said.
"While inspecting the bags of the two females, security officers discovered a strong odour and found a foetus inside the bag of suspect No 1," police said in a statement.
The medical examiner`s office was not immediately available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore