Suspected shoplifters in New York found with human foetus
New York: Security guards who stopped two 17-year-old girls suspected of shoplifting at a Victoria`s Secret store on Thursday found a human foetus inside a bag one of them was carrying, New York City police said.
Both teens were placed in police custody after the discovery on Thursday afternoon at the midtown Manhattan lingerie store in Herald Square, New York City Police Detective Michael DeBonis said.
One of the girls was taken to Bellevue Hospital, police said. DeBonis declined to comment on local media reports that the girl taken to the hospital may have recently given birth.
"It was a human foetus," said Sergeant John Buthorn. "The medical examiner will now determine the cause of death."
Both girls were charged with criminal possession of stolen property and petit larceny, Buthorn said.
"While inspecting the bags of the two females, security officers discovered a strong odour and found a foetus inside the bag of suspect No 1," police said in a statement.
The medical examiner`s office was not immediately available for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured