Suspended jail for French mother over son`s 9/11 T-shirt
Nimes: A French mother who sent her three-year-old son to school in a T-shirt reading "I am a bomb" and "Jihad, born on September 11" was given a suspended prison term on Friday for defending the crime.
Bouchra Bagour said she had simply wanted to mark the birthday of her son -- who is named Jihad and was born on September 11 -- and had not intended any connection with the 9/11 attacks in the United States in 2001.
She was acquitted in April by another court on charges of defending terrorism, but prosecutors had appealed the decision.
On Friday, an appeal court in the southern city of Nimes reversed the ruling, fining Bagour 2,000 euros (USD 2,700) and giving her a suspended one-month jail term.
Her brother Zeyad, who gave his nephew the T-shirt, was fined 4,000 euros and given a two-month suspended prison sentence.
Bagour, 35 at the time of the first ruling, had admitted to court that sending her child to school wearing the T-shirt had been "tactless", but insisted it was not meant as a provocation.
Her brother Zeyad, 29 at the time, told the court: "We were never trying to claim responsibility for this thing or defend a cause."
The lawyer for the pair said Friday the decision was "harsh and surprising", adding that she would consider sending the case to the Paris-based Supreme Court for final arbitration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India