Suspended jail for French mother over son`s 9/11 T-shirt
Nimes: A French mother who sent her three-year-old son to school in a T-shirt reading "I am a bomb" and "Jihad, born on September 11" was given a suspended prison term on Friday for defending the crime.
Bouchra Bagour said she had simply wanted to mark the birthday of her son -- who is named Jihad and was born on September 11 -- and had not intended any connection with the 9/11 attacks in the United States in 2001.
She was acquitted in April by another court on charges of defending terrorism, but prosecutors had appealed the decision.
On Friday, an appeal court in the southern city of Nimes reversed the ruling, fining Bagour 2,000 euros (USD 2,700) and giving her a suspended one-month jail term.
Her brother Zeyad, who gave his nephew the T-shirt, was fined 4,000 euros and given a two-month suspended prison sentence.
Bagour, 35 at the time of the first ruling, had admitted to court that sending her child to school wearing the T-shirt had been "tactless", but insisted it was not meant as a provocation.
Her brother Zeyad, 29 at the time, told the court: "We were never trying to claim responsibility for this thing or defend a cause."
The lawyer for the pair said Friday the decision was "harsh and surprising", adding that she would consider sending the case to the Paris-based Supreme Court for final arbitration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?