Suspicious envelope closes UN cafeteria
New York: The United Nations closed its main dining room and staff cafeteria after "a suspicious envelope" was found, UN deputy spokeswoman Marie Okabe said.
She said on Thursday that the UN security staff called in New York City authorities to help investigate the contents of the envelope.
The envelope contained a white powder, a UN official said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the investigation is under way.
The former UN staff cafeteria, on the ground floor of the 39-storey Secretariat building overlooking New York`s East River, was recently renovated so that part of it is now the Delegates Dining Room.
All people in the dining facility were asked to leave, and many stood around outside waiting for word on whether they would be allowed to return and finish their lunches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie