Suspicious package at US base sends 3 to hospital
Chicago: Three service members who handled a suspicious package that was sent to an Illinois Air Force base were taken to hospital on Wednesday after developing rashes, officials said.
They were all released after a brief medical exam, a spokesman for the Scott Air Force Base said.
"They were just experiencing some skin irritation," Lieutenant Benjamin Garland said.
The military mail centre and adjacent buildings were immediately evacuated after the package was discovered around 9:30 am (14:30 GMT)
Some 13 other people who were in the vicinity of the package were also evaluated by medical personnel.
Officials said there is no immediate threat to surrounding communities.
Garland declined to confirm reports that a sulfur-like smell came from the package or comment on what kind of suspicious material the package contained.
"It is currently under investigation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?