Suspicious package at US base sends 3 to hospital
Chicago: Three service members who handled a suspicious package that was sent to an Illinois Air Force base were taken to hospital on Wednesday after developing rashes, officials said.
They were all released after a brief medical exam, a spokesman for the Scott Air Force Base said.
"They were just experiencing some skin irritation," Lieutenant Benjamin Garland said.
The military mail centre and adjacent buildings were immediately evacuated after the package was discovered around 9:30 am (14:30 GMT)
Some 13 other people who were in the vicinity of the package were also evaluated by medical personnel.
Officials said there is no immediate threat to surrounding communities.
Garland declined to confirm reports that a sulfur-like smell came from the package or comment on what kind of suspicious material the package contained.
"It is currently under investigation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security