Suspicious package at US base sends 3 to hospital
Chicago: Three service members who handled a suspicious package that was sent to an Illinois Air Force base were taken to hospital on Wednesday after developing rashes, officials said.
They were all released after a brief medical exam, a spokesman for the Scott Air Force Base said.
"They were just experiencing some skin irritation," Lieutenant Benjamin Garland said.
The military mail centre and adjacent buildings were immediately evacuated after the package was discovered around 9:30 am (14:30 GMT)
Some 13 other people who were in the vicinity of the package were also evaluated by medical personnel.
Officials said there is no immediate threat to surrounding communities.
Garland declined to confirm reports that a sulfur-like smell came from the package or comment on what kind of suspicious material the package contained.
"It is currently under investigation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem