Suspicious package closes streets around Capitol
Washington: Police blocked off streets around the Capitol on Thursday after discovering a suspicious metal cylinder near the domed landmark that houses the Senate and House of Representatives.
There was no word on whether the cylinder contained explosive material.
Bomb squad officers, who used a remote-control robot to inspect the object, planned to transport it under police escort to a facility in Virginia where they could render it "safe," according to a spokeswoman for the Capitol Police.
The cylinder was discovered near the reflecting pool at the foot of Capitol Hill during the morning commuter rush.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- My son didn't do anything wrong: Dayashankar Singh's mother
- Olympics 2016: Usain Bolt gunning for Russian ban at Rio; says move will scare drug cheats
- Video row: Speaker Mahajan hints at action even as Bhagwant Mann apologies
- Pakistan-origin British boxer Amir Khan says he will ruin Vijender Singh's career...
- Nearly 3,000 dead already in Mediterranean this year- International Organization for Migration