Suspicious package closes streets around Capitol
Washington: Police blocked off streets around the Capitol on Thursday after discovering a suspicious metal cylinder near the domed landmark that houses the Senate and House of Representatives.
There was no word on whether the cylinder contained explosive material.
Bomb squad officers, who used a remote-control robot to inspect the object, planned to transport it under police escort to a facility in Virginia where they could render it "safe," according to a spokeswoman for the Capitol Police.
The cylinder was discovered near the reflecting pool at the foot of Capitol Hill during the morning commuter rush.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB