Suspicious package closes streets around Capitol
Washington: Police blocked off streets around the Capitol on Thursday after discovering a suspicious metal cylinder near the domed landmark that houses the Senate and House of Representatives.
There was no word on whether the cylinder contained explosive material.
Bomb squad officers, who used a remote-control robot to inspect the object, planned to transport it under police escort to a facility in Virginia where they could render it "safe," according to a spokeswoman for the Capitol Police.
The cylinder was discovered near the reflecting pool at the foot of Capitol Hill during the morning commuter rush.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official