Suu Kyi becomes party chief as by-election looms
Yangon: Democracy champion Aung San Suu Kyi has become head of her political party, a spokesman said on Tuesday, as she prepares to fight by-elections to enter Myanmar`s army-dominated parliament.
The Nobel laureate has taken the reins of her National League for Democracy (NLD), a party she helped form more than two decades ago, as part of a decision to enter the political mainstream amid nascent reform in the country.
"According to our party structure Daw Aung San Suu Kyi became the chairman of the NLD," spokesman Nyan Win said. Daw is a term of respect.
He added that Suu Kyi took up the chairmanship during the official registration process, which began late last year and was formally approved last week.
Locked up by Myanmar`s previous military rulers for much of the past 20 years, Suu Kyi was long a figurehead for the NLD, but the leadership role went to older party members, as is the cultural norm in the country.
The 66-year-old now plans to contest the April 1 by-elections in a constituency near Yangon.
A total of 48 seats are up for grabs in the vote, but the number available is not enough to threaten the resounding majority held by the ruling party. One quarter of parliament`s seats are also reserved for soldiers.
Relations between the new nominally civilian government and the opposition have seen a significant thaw in recent months, with high-profile dialogue between former generals, including the president, and Suu Kyi.
Myanmar`s new leadership, which took power after a controversial 2010 election, has carried out a number of promising reform gestures but international concerns remain about the fate of political detainees.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof