Suu Kyi party launches Myanmar political comeback
Naypyidaw: Democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi`s opposition took its first step towards a return to mainstream Myanmar politics on Friday, days before a historic visit by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
The National League for Democracy (NLD) applied to officially re-register as a political party -- after boycotting last year`s much-criticised Parliamentary Election -- amid signs of reform in a country long dominated by the military.
Hillary will travel to Myanmar on Wednesday to make the first visit by a US secretary of state in 50 years to try to boost what President Barack Obama has called "flickers" of progress.
Myanmar, ruled for decades by a repressive junta and isolated on the world stage, has seen promising changes since the November 2010 vote brought to power a nominally civilian government, albeit one with close links to the military.
Ex-general Thura Shwe Mann, the speaker of the lower house of Myanmar`s Parliament and considered one of the most powerful men in the current regime, said today Myanmar wanted a "regular relationship" with Washington.
The new administration has surprised many observers with a series of reformist moves, including holding talks with Suu Kyi, passing a law giving workers the right to strike and releasing hundreds of political prisoners.
Jim Della-Giacoma, South East Asia Project director at the International Crisis Group, said the NLD`s return to the fray marked the beginning of a new era in Myanmar politics.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India