Suu Kyi party seeks meeting of detained leaders
Yangon: The party of Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi said Tuesday it had urged the chief of the ruling junta to allow a meeting between its detained leaders so they can discuss upcoming elections.
The Nobel Laureate`s National League for Democracy (NLD) has not yet said if it will participate in next year`s polls, which critics say are a sham designed to legitimise the
military regime`s iron grip on power.
"We wrote a letter to Senior General Than Shwe on September 16," party spokesman Nyan Win told AFP, referring to the reclusive junta leader.
"The main thing we urged for is permission for a get-together of the detained party leaders Aung San Suu Kyi, Tin Oo (vice chairman) and our central executive committee members," he said.
He said they wanted to lay down NLD policy for the future and make "important decisions according to the recent political situation."
"I cannot say whether they will decide for (participating in) the forthcoming elections or not. But the elections matter will be included in their consideration at the meeting," Nyan
The NLD won a landslide victory in the country`s last elections, in 1990, but was never allowed to govern, and pro-democracy icon Suu Kyi has been in detention for 14 of the
past 20 years.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'