Suu Kyi party seeks meeting of detained leaders
Yangon: The party of Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi said Tuesday it had urged the chief of the ruling junta to allow a meeting between its detained leaders so they can discuss upcoming elections.
The Nobel Laureate`s National League for Democracy (NLD) has not yet said if it will participate in next year`s polls, which critics say are a sham designed to legitimise the
military regime`s iron grip on power.
"We wrote a letter to Senior General Than Shwe on September 16," party spokesman Nyan Win told AFP, referring to the reclusive junta leader.
"The main thing we urged for is permission for a get-together of the detained party leaders Aung San Suu Kyi, Tin Oo (vice chairman) and our central executive committee members," he said.
He said they wanted to lay down NLD policy for the future and make "important decisions according to the recent political situation."
"I cannot say whether they will decide for (participating in) the forthcoming elections or not. But the elections matter will be included in their consideration at the meeting," Nyan
The NLD won a landslide victory in the country`s last elections, in 1990, but was never allowed to govern, and pro-democracy icon Suu Kyi has been in detention for 14 of the
past 20 years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations