Swallowed diamond purged out of Chinese man
Colombo: A USD 14,000 diamond that was swallowed by a Chinese man in an attempt to steal it, has been retrieved after laxatives were given to him, the police said.
"The Chinese man arrested on Wednesday had dropped the diamond with his excreta today. It was handed over to the Cinnamon Gardens police for verification", police spokesman and Superintendent Ajith Rohana said yesterday.
The diamond believed to be worth USD 14,000 was swallowed by a Chinese national, Chow Wan, during the opening of FACET 2012, the annual international gem and jewellery exhibition.
The 32-year-old visitor had asked the stall owner for a close inspection of the 1.5-carat diamond before swallowing it.
It was feared that the man may have to face surgery to remove the diamond as an X-ray taken at the National Hospital here had showed the diamond was lodged in his gullet.
Police said the prosecution was keen on retrieving the stone and they are also looking to interview the arrested man`s companion who had fled the exhibition site upon the arrest of his friend.
The two men had arrived as tourists on September 3.
Sri Lanka is famous for its gems, mostly blue sapphires and jewellery but does not mine diamonds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016
- India's tour of West Indies: Hosts pick uncapped fast bowler Alzarri Joseph for second Test
- SC to hear plea of Army doctors for enhancement of retirement age
- Fun times! Former Aussie speedster Brett Lee on the sets of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'