Swallowed diamond purged out of Chinese man
Colombo: A USD 14,000 diamond that was swallowed by a Chinese man in an attempt to steal it, has been retrieved after laxatives were given to him, the police said.
"The Chinese man arrested on Wednesday had dropped the diamond with his excreta today. It was handed over to the Cinnamon Gardens police for verification", police spokesman and Superintendent Ajith Rohana said yesterday.
The diamond believed to be worth USD 14,000 was swallowed by a Chinese national, Chow Wan, during the opening of FACET 2012, the annual international gem and jewellery exhibition.
The 32-year-old visitor had asked the stall owner for a close inspection of the 1.5-carat diamond before swallowing it.
It was feared that the man may have to face surgery to remove the diamond as an X-ray taken at the National Hospital here had showed the diamond was lodged in his gullet.
Police said the prosecution was keen on retrieving the stone and they are also looking to interview the arrested man`s companion who had fled the exhibition site upon the arrest of his friend.
The two men had arrived as tourists on September 3.
Sri Lanka is famous for its gems, mostly blue sapphires and jewellery but does not mine diamonds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic