Sweater knit by Myanmar`s Suu Kyi sells for $50K
Yangon: A hand-knit woollen sweater made by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi has sold at an auction in Myanmar for almost USD 50,000.
A Myanmar-based radio station won a bidding war for the sweater during an auction on Thursday night held by Suu Kyi`s opposition party. The bidding started at USD 6,000.
Suu Kyi has not yet commented on the sale of the sweater a red, green and blue V-neck or explained its background. It sold for 41,500,000 kyat, or USD 49,000.
The auction was a part of a fundraising concert organised by the National League for Democracy party to raise money for education of poor children in the impoverished country.
Suu Kyi, a 67-year-old former political prisoner, has become Myanmar`s biggest celebrity as the country transitions from a half-century of military rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed