Sweater knit by Myanmar`s Suu Kyi sells for $50K
Yangon: A hand-knit woollen sweater made by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi has sold at an auction in Myanmar for almost USD 50,000.
A Myanmar-based radio station won a bidding war for the sweater during an auction on Thursday night held by Suu Kyi`s opposition party. The bidding started at USD 6,000.
Suu Kyi has not yet commented on the sale of the sweater a red, green and blue V-neck or explained its background. It sold for 41,500,000 kyat, or USD 49,000.
The auction was a part of a fundraising concert organised by the National League for Democracy party to raise money for education of poor children in the impoverished country.
Suu Kyi, a 67-year-old former political prisoner, has become Myanmar`s biggest celebrity as the country transitions from a half-century of military rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...