Sweater knit by Myanmar`s Suu Kyi sells for $50K
Yangon: A hand-knit woollen sweater made by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi has sold at an auction in Myanmar for almost USD 50,000.
A Myanmar-based radio station won a bidding war for the sweater during an auction on Thursday night held by Suu Kyi`s opposition party. The bidding started at USD 6,000.
Suu Kyi has not yet commented on the sale of the sweater a red, green and blue V-neck or explained its background. It sold for 41,500,000 kyat, or USD 49,000.
The auction was a part of a fundraising concert organised by the National League for Democracy party to raise money for education of poor children in the impoverished country.
Suu Kyi, a 67-year-old former political prisoner, has become Myanmar`s biggest celebrity as the country transitions from a half-century of military rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?