Swede survives two months snow-trapped in car
London: A 45-year-old Swedish man has
survived being frozen to death in his snow-covered car for two
months and without food, media reports said on Sunday.
The car was found on Friday at the end of a forest track
more than one kilometre from a main road in northern Sweden.
Police say the temperature in the area had recently
dropped to -30C.
The man, who was too weak to utter more than a few words,
said he had been inside since December 19. He may have
survived by drinking melted snow.
Police say they have no reason to doubt his story.
The man, who has not been named, is recovering at Umea
University Hospital - where staff say he is doing well
considering the circumstances.
The man was discovered by snowmobilers who initially
assumed the car was a wreck until they dug their way to a
window and saw movement inside, BBC quoted the Vasterbotten
Courier newspaper as saying.
The man was huddled in a sleeping bag on the back seat,
said policeman Ebbe Nyberg.
"He was in a very poor state. Poor condition. He said
he`d been there for a long time and had survived on a little
"He said himself he hadn`t eaten anything since
December," Nyberg said.
Doctors at the Umea University Hospital said they would
normally expect a person to survive without food for around
four weeks, said the Vasterbotten Courier.
One doctor told the newspaper that the man might have
survived so long by going into a kind of hibernation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- BoI net loss soars to Rs 3,567 cr as bad loans bite
- NEET: No end to row; now, ordinance to be challenged in Supreme Court
- Ensure NEET is never forced on Tamil Nadu: Jayalalithaa to PM Modi
- UBSE / UEEB 12th Results 2016: Uttarakhand / Uttaranchal (UK) Board Class 12th Exam Results 2016 to be declared soon
- US clears reimbursement fund for Pakistan for ''anti-terrorism efforts''