Sweden offers home to Syrian refugees
Stockholm: The Swedish migration board decided on Tuesday that all Syrian refugees coming to Sweden could become permanent residents due to the deteriorating conditions in Syria, reports Xinhua.
"The conflicts, to put it mildly, have been obviously worse. We believe that it is not going to end within the foreseeable future, so we have made a conventional change," Anders Danielsson, general director of the migration board, was quoted as saying by the Swedish daily Dagens Nyheter.
"According to international law, they should have permanent residence permits and that is the decision we have made," said Danielsson.
The decision also meant that around 8,000 Syrians who had temporary Swedish residence permits could stay permanently and also bring their families to Sweden.
Sweden has become the first country in the European Union to give permanent residence permits to Syrian refugees, the local media said.
One year ago, Sweden gave Syrian refugees a three-year residence permit. But as Sweden has no diplomatic mission in Syria, the relatives of the refugees had to go to a neighbouring country. About 1,600 Syrian refugees had applied to bring their families to Sweden, the report added.
The number of refugees who will be offered protection in Sweden is decided every year by the Swedish government, which has given the Swedish migration board the task of making decisions about settlement and permanent residence permits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray