Sweden raises terror threat alert
Stockholm: Sweden has raised the country`s terror threat alert to its highest level ever because of an increased threat of terror attacks, security officials said on Friday.
The intelligence agency said the alert had been upped from level two to level three on a five-point scale for the first time in the country`s history. But the agency added that it does not believe that there is any immediate threat and did not mention any possible targets.
The evaluation, based on information gathered by the security police, the military intelligence service and the National Defence Radio Establishment, was due to "changed activity within certain environments in Sweden, activities that are evaluated to be targeting Sweden," it said.
Officials said that security police chief Anders Danielsson had made the decision in mid-September, but did not elaborate on the information that triggered the decision.
Magnus Norell, a terrorism expert at the Swedish Defence Research Agency, said he believes the raised alert is based on increased activity among the select groups the intelligence service keeps under observation.
"I would think that this means they are seeing more meeting and planning activity among those groups," Norell said. "But this is absolutely not the same thing as saying there are any concrete plans to attack."
Elsewhere, security officials said this week that a terror plot to wage Mumbai-style shooting sprees or other attacks in Britain, France and Germany was still active. Both European and US officials said the plot was still in its early stages and not considered serious enough to raise the terror threat levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered