Swine flu: 4 pilgrims, including Indian, die before Hajj
Dubai: An Indian was among four pilgrims who died of swine flu soon after arriving in Saudi Arabia to perform the annual Hajj.
In a statement, Saudi Arabia`s Ministry of Health has confirmed the death of four pilgrims who were from India, Sudan, Morocco and Nigeria. The ministry said all those who died had not taken the vaccine against the virus.
Three of the victims, including the Indian, were 75 years old and the fourth was a 17-year-old Nigerian, it said.
The identity of those dead have, however, not yet been revealed. The virus has cast a shadow on this year`s Hajj, as the pilgrimage is known.
All able-bodied Muslims are required to perform Hajj at least once in their lifetime if they have the financial wherewithal to undertake it.
The pilgrimage that attracts millions of people from 160 countries begins this year on November 26, as the winter flu season approaches in the Northern Hemisphere.
The authorities have been taking measures to minimise the impact of swine flu. Eight new first aid clinics were opened until mid-night to counter the second wave of the swine flu.
Additionally, 25 ICU-beds have been made operational by the ministry at the 100-bed King Saud Hospital, which will be utilised temporarily for pilgrims.
The Saudi government had earlier recommended that elderly, pregnant women, people with chronic diseases and children skip the Hajj this year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory