Swine flu: 4 pilgrims, including Indian, die before Hajj
Dubai: An Indian was among four pilgrims who died of swine flu soon after arriving in Saudi Arabia to perform the annual Hajj.
In a statement, Saudi Arabia`s Ministry of Health has confirmed the death of four pilgrims who were from India, Sudan, Morocco and Nigeria. The ministry said all those who died had not taken the vaccine against the virus.
Three of the victims, including the Indian, were 75 years old and the fourth was a 17-year-old Nigerian, it said.
The identity of those dead have, however, not yet been revealed. The virus has cast a shadow on this year`s Hajj, as the pilgrimage is known.
All able-bodied Muslims are required to perform Hajj at least once in their lifetime if they have the financial wherewithal to undertake it.
The pilgrimage that attracts millions of people from 160 countries begins this year on November 26, as the winter flu season approaches in the Northern Hemisphere.
The authorities have been taking measures to minimise the impact of swine flu. Eight new first aid clinics were opened until mid-night to counter the second wave of the swine flu.
Additionally, 25 ICU-beds have been made operational by the ministry at the 100-bed King Saud Hospital, which will be utilised temporarily for pilgrims.
The Saudi government had earlier recommended that elderly, pregnant women, people with chronic diseases and children skip the Hajj this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends
- Indian Army makes major changes in recruitment process – Click here to get updated information