Swiss: 21 Belgians, 7 Dutch dead in tunnel crash
Sion, Switzerland: A Swiss police chief says 21 Belgians and seven people from the Netherlands have been killed when a ski bus crashed head-on into a tunnel wall in southern Switzerland.
The crash late Tuesday claimed the lives of 28 people, 22 of them children, as they traveled from a Swiss Alps ski vacation back to Belgium.
Valais police chief Christian Varone also told reporters Wednesday that two injured passengers remain unidentified. He said the other injured included 17 Belgians, three Dutch and one person each from Poland and Germany.
He spoke at a news conference Wednesday in Sion, Switzerland.
Olivier Elsig, prosecutor for the canton of Valais, also told reporters the children on the bus were wearing seat belts and no other vehicle involved. He spoke at a news conference Wednesday in Sion, Switzerland.
Elsig said investigators were looking at three possible causes for the crash — a technical problem with the bus, a health problem with the driver, or human error.
The crash killed 22 students and six adults on their way back to Belgium following a Swiss skiing vacation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!