Swiss banks `allegedly` providing info to US
Geneva: Swiss banks have "allegedly" begun
providing information to Washington on accounts held by US
citizens, Swiss media reported on Saturday.
Local daily Neue Zuercher Zeitung reported that US
authorities had "allegedly" received information from Swiss
banks on their American customers, without citing sources.
It said that yesterday nine banks "allegedly ... provided
the requested information".
Another media outlet, the daily TagesAnzeiger, said that
Credit Suisse had earlier in the week provided to Washington
information on US clients.
"The Credit Suisse banker responsible for the negotiations
took a plane for Washington and submitted the information," it
The TagesAnzeiger also said that Switzerland`s government
has "partially" agreed to a Washington ultimatum that
information on US nationals who have money in the country be
It said that Swiss authorities, in a confidential letter
to 10 local banks said the US request could "be partially
agreed upon", but that the data transfer would have to be done
by the banks themselves, and not the government.
Furthermore, the letter said the banks would need to
provide data on banking activities only going back to
September 30, 2009.
Prior to that date, information should only be provided
"if there is a violation of US legislation or obvious tax
fraud", the newspaper said.
On Wednesday, Switzerland`s President Micheline Calmy-Rey
told reporters that Swiss authorities had not provided the
names of any clients of Swiss banks to US tax authorities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly