Swiss foreign minister elected president
Geneva: Swiss Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter was today elected president of the Alpine country for 2014, taking over from Defence Minister Ueli Maurer.
The Swiss presidency rotates every year between the seven members of the country`s cross-party cabinet, with the role of the head of state largely symbolic.
Burkhalter, 53, is a member of the centre-right Liberal Radical Party and hails from the French-speaking region of Neuchatel.
The president is elected by the Swiss parliament, where Burkhalter received 183 out of 202 votes, underlining his strong support across the country`s political divides.
Maurer, a member of the right-wing populist Swiss People`s Party, received 148 votes when he was elected in December 2012.
Members of parliament can also opt to cast ballots for other ministers even if they do not consider themselves contenders.
Burkhalter`s party colleague Economy Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann received 10 votes.
Burkhalter was elected to the cabinet -- or Federal Council -- in 2009 and started out as interior minister before taking the foreign affairs portfolio in January 2012.
As foreign minister, he set a goal of boosting Switzerland`s ties with the 28-nation European Union, of which it is not a member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan