Swiss foreign minister elected president
Geneva: Swiss Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter was on Wednesday elected president of the Alpine country for 2014, taking over from Defence Minister Ueli Maurer.
The Swiss presidency rotates every year between the seven members of the country`s cross-party cabinet, with the role of the head of state largely symbolic.
Burkhalter, 53, is a member of the centre-right Liberal Radical Party and hails from the French-speaking region of Neuchatel.
The president is elected by the Swiss parliament, where Burkhalter received 183 out of 202 votes, underlining his strong support across the country`s political divides.
Maurer, a member of the right-wing populist Swiss People`s Party, received 148 votes when he was elected in December 2012.
Members of parliament can also opt to cast ballots for other ministers even if they do not consider themselves contenders.
Burkhalter`s party colleague Economy Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann received 10 votes.
Burkhalter was elected to the cabinet -- or Federal Council -- in 2009 and started out as interior minister before taking the foreign affairs portfolio in January 2012.
As foreign minister, he set a goal of boosting Switzerland`s ties with the 28-nation European Union, of which it is not a member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez