Swiss woman kidnapped in Yemen: Officials
Sanaa: Yemeni and Swiss officials say a Swiss woman has been kidnapped in a western Yemeni port city.
Yemeni security officials say the woman is a researcher
at an institute in the city of Hodeida and that tribesmen
kidnapped her on Tuesday.
Tribesmen in the area deny it, saying she was taken by
militants to the southern province of Shabwa, an al Qaeda
The Swiss Foreign Ministry confirmed today the abduction
of its Swiss national. The Swiss say they are in contact with
Yemeni authorities to ensure her release and safety.
All the officials and tribesmen spoke on condition of
anonymity because they are not authorized to speak to the
Kidnapping of foreigners is frequent in Yemen, where
hostages are used as bargaining chips to secure release of
Yemeni prisoners or to get cash.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen