Switzerland blocks funds of wealthy Greek
Geneva: A Swiss banking source said on Friday
that Greek authorities have requested the blocking of about
USD 215 million deposited in a Zurich fund manager by a Greek
"This money has been blocked at the request of the
authorities," the banking source said, confirming
information published about the freeze today in a Swiss and a
Greek authorities have 90 days to formally request the
blocking of the funds said the source.
According to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung and the Swiss
Handelszeitung, the frozen funds belong to the Greek
businessman Lavrentis Lavrentiadis, an Athenian entrepreneur
who made his fortune in chemicals.
At the initiative of the Athens prosecutor, the Swiss
were asked to block funds deposited in three accounts opened
for Lavrentiadis and they were frozen.
A deputy spokeswoman for the Swiss Department of Justice
and Police of Switzerland, Ingrid Ryser, said "we do not
comment in principle on a provisional remedy in connection
with criminal proceedings."
The Proton small private bank was bailed out by the Greek
state in October.
Lavrentiadis became president of the Alapis chemicals
company and the principal shareholder of the small private
This bank was bailed out by the Greece in October 2011,
and has been the subject of a criminal investigation there
since January 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in