Switzerland blocks funds of wealthy Greek
Geneva: A Swiss banking source said on Friday
that Greek authorities have requested the blocking of about
USD 215 million deposited in a Zurich fund manager by a Greek
"This money has been blocked at the request of the
authorities," the banking source said, confirming
information published about the freeze today in a Swiss and a
Greek authorities have 90 days to formally request the
blocking of the funds said the source.
According to the Sueddeutsche Zeitung and the Swiss
Handelszeitung, the frozen funds belong to the Greek
businessman Lavrentis Lavrentiadis, an Athenian entrepreneur
who made his fortune in chemicals.
At the initiative of the Athens prosecutor, the Swiss
were asked to block funds deposited in three accounts opened
for Lavrentiadis and they were frozen.
A deputy spokeswoman for the Swiss Department of Justice
and Police of Switzerland, Ingrid Ryser, said "we do not
comment in principle on a provisional remedy in connection
with criminal proceedings."
The Proton small private bank was bailed out by the Greek
state in October.
Lavrentiadis became president of the Alapis chemicals
company and the principal shareholder of the small private
This bank was bailed out by the Greece in October 2011,
and has been the subject of a criminal investigation there
since January 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam