Switzerland opens embassy in Myanmar
Yangon: Switzerland has opened its embassy in Yangon for close links between the European country and Myanmar, official media reported Sunday.
The set-up of the Swiss embassy in Myanmar`s former capital Saturday came on the occasion of an official visit to Myanmar of Swiss Minister of Foreign Affairs and Federal Councillor Didier Burkhalter.
Burkhalter was quoted as saying that Switzerland will support Myanmar at a time when Myanmar is taking a long and difficult step towards democracy.
Burkhalter said Switzerland will provide humanitarian aid worth about $8 million to Myanmar and the amount will be raised to $20 million in the coming year, adding that in late 2013-16, the aid will be increased to $35 million.
Arriving in Myanmar`s new capital Nay Pyi Taw Friday, Burkhalter was received by President U Thein Sein. The pair had discussions on further strengthening amity between the two countries, production of value-added foodstuff and natural products, cooperation in rehabilitation and providing humanitarian aid, natural disaster, creating job opportuities, conducting health, food and vocational training courses and multi-sector cooperation.
Switzerland was among the five European countries to which Myanmar`s opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi made a historic visit in June for seeking political and economic support to back democratic transition in her country.
Switzerland along with Canada and Australia have lifted all sanctions on Myanmar with the exception of embargo on arms to show support for the country`s sweeping reforms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate