Switzerland recalls ambassador to Syria
Geneva: Switzerland has decided to recall its
ambassador to Damascus for consultations in protest at Syria`s
crackdown on protesters, the foreign ministry said on Thursday.
"The unacceptable behaviour of the Syrian security service
has led the foreign ministry to recall the ambassador from his
post in Damascus for consultations in Bern," the ministry said
in a statement.
The foreign ministry said that it had already "made a
number of public appeals to the Syrian authorities to respect
fundamental rights", adding that it "particularly deplores the
large numbers of dead and wounded and offers its sincerest
condolences to the victims` families and loved ones".
The statement also called for Syrian President Bashar
al-Assad`s regime to end repression immediately, halt the use
of torture as well as respect freedom of opinion and for
people to hold gatherings.
The announcement of the ambassador`s recall comes only a
day after Switzerland widened sanctions against Assad`s
regime, adding 12 individuals to a list of key players under
financial embargo and travel restriction.
Bern had already blocked assets worth 27 million francs
(USD 34 million, 23.6 million euros) belonging to Assad and 22
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday