Switzerland to ban underage prostitution
Geneva: Hiring a prostitute under the age of 18 will cease being legal in Switzerland, although to date there has been no penalty for purchasing sexual services from people over 16, the age of sexual majority in the Alpine nation.
The Council of the Cantons, the Swiss Parliament`s territorial chamber, Tuesday took the first legislative step toward reforming the Penal Code after Switzerland two years ago signed the international Convention on the Protection of Children.
The agreement, which has been ratified by 18 countries so far, stipulates that signatories must punish all acts of sexual abuse, prostitution, pornography and participation in pornographic shows by people younger than 18.
The new Swiss legislation, which will have to be ratified by the other chamber of parliament, will not punish the minors who provide those services but rather the people who hire them, and the latter could be sentenced to up to three years behind bars.
Facilitating prostitution by minors will also be punished and pimps or operators of bordellos where people younger than 18 work will face maximum 10-year sentences.
The minimum age to participate in pornographic movies or shows will rise from 16 to 18 and those in charge of productions featuring people under the established legal age would face prison terms of up to five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video