Switzerland to ban underage prostitution
Geneva: Hiring a prostitute under the age of 18 will cease being legal in Switzerland, although to date there has been no penalty for purchasing sexual services from people over 16, the age of sexual majority in the Alpine nation.
The Council of the Cantons, the Swiss Parliament`s territorial chamber, Tuesday took the first legislative step toward reforming the Penal Code after Switzerland two years ago signed the international Convention on the Protection of Children.
The agreement, which has been ratified by 18 countries so far, stipulates that signatories must punish all acts of sexual abuse, prostitution, pornography and participation in pornographic shows by people younger than 18.
The new Swiss legislation, which will have to be ratified by the other chamber of parliament, will not punish the minors who provide those services but rather the people who hire them, and the latter could be sentenced to up to three years behind bars.
Facilitating prostitution by minors will also be punished and pimps or operators of bordellos where people younger than 18 work will face maximum 10-year sentences.
The minimum age to participate in pornographic movies or shows will rise from 16 to 18 and those in charge of productions featuring people under the established legal age would face prison terms of up to five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi