Switzerland to ban underage prostitution
Geneva: Hiring a prostitute under the age of 18 will cease being legal in Switzerland, although to date there has been no penalty for purchasing sexual services from people over 16, the age of sexual majority in the Alpine nation.
The Council of the Cantons, the Swiss Parliament`s territorial chamber, Tuesday took the first legislative step toward reforming the Penal Code after Switzerland two years ago signed the international Convention on the Protection of Children.
The agreement, which has been ratified by 18 countries so far, stipulates that signatories must punish all acts of sexual abuse, prostitution, pornography and participation in pornographic shows by people younger than 18.
The new Swiss legislation, which will have to be ratified by the other chamber of parliament, will not punish the minors who provide those services but rather the people who hire them, and the latter could be sentenced to up to three years behind bars.
Facilitating prostitution by minors will also be punished and pimps or operators of bordellos where people younger than 18 work will face maximum 10-year sentences.
The minimum age to participate in pornographic movies or shows will rise from 16 to 18 and those in charge of productions featuring people under the established legal age would face prison terms of up to five years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?