Sydney University gets mystery Picasso gift
Sydney: A mystery American-based donor has handed the University of Sydney a Pablo Picasso painting worth up to USD 20 million on the condition it is sold to fund scientific research.
‘Jeune Fille Endormie’, painted in 1935, is set to be auctioned in London on June 21 at Christie`s, which estimates it will fetch between GBP 9 and 12 million (USD 15-20 million).
Giovanna Bertazzoni, director of impressionist and modern art at the auction house, said on Wednesday she expected keen interest from collectors in Asia, the Middle East and Russia, as well as Europe and the United States.
"This is an absolute jewel of a painting by one of the great artistic geniuses of Western art and we are pleased to be able to support the University of Sydney by offering it at auction," she said.
University vice-chancellor Michael Spence said the donor had personally flown to Sydney to present the painting, whose title can be translated as `Young Girl Asleep`.
"In an extraordinary act of generosity, an overseas donor who wishes to remain anonymous was prepared to fly to Australia to personally give this painting to the university," said Spence.
"This very generous and far-sighted gift is recognition of the international standing and reputation of the University of Sydney."
Spence said any funds raised would mostly go towards funding a new centre for obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
The painting is a portrait of the Spanish-born artist`s lover Marie-Therese Walter, whom he met when he was 45 and she was 17 outside the Galeries Lafayette in Paris in 1927, while he was still married to Olga Khoklova.
Last year, a 1932 portrait of Walter by Picasso, `Nu au Plateau de Sculpteur` (`Nude, Green Leaves and Bust`), set a world record when it was snapped up by a mystery bidder for USD 106.5 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation