Syria accuses US of interference in its affairs
Damascus: Syria has accused the United States of "interfering" in the protests rocking the Middle East country for the last four months, after US ambassador Robert Ford visited the rebel city of Hama.
"The presence of the US ambassador in Hama without previous permission is obvious proof of the implication of the United States in the ongoing events, and of their attempts to increase (tensions), which damage Syria`s security and stability," the foreign ministry in Damascus said in a statement on Thursday.
"Syria warns against such irresponsible behaviour and stresses its determination to continue to take all measures that will bring back calm and stability to the country," the ministry added.
Last Friday, an anti-regime rally brought out half a million people in Hama, according to pro-democracy activists. The security services did not intervene and Assad fired the city`s governor the next day.
In Washington State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said earlier that Ford was "interested in seeing the activity tomorrow", referring to the latest in a series of planned protests after Friday prayers.
A senior US official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Ford was in the city "to make contact" with opposition leaders.
"We need to know who these guys are, we need to know what they aspire to in terms of political process and a different future for their country. We need to make contact and that`s what he`s there to do," the official said.
Hundreds of residents have fled Hama in recent hours, fearing a crackdown from the army on the eve of new demonstrations there and across the country voicing opposition to any dialogue with the Assad regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray