Syria among worst for rights abuses: HRW report
New York: Syria`s authorities were among the worse violators of human rights last year, jailing lawyers, torturing opponents and using violence to repress ethnic Kurds, Human Rights Watch said on Monday.
The rights organisation`s annual report referred to two lawyers, 80-year-old Haitham al-Maleh and 43-year old Mohannad al-Hassani who were sentenced to three years` imprisonment each, as "heroes" for championing the plight of Syria`s political prisoners and paying for it with their own freedom.
"Syria`s bleak human rights record stood out in a region where bad performers are legion," Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement on the report.
Another lawyer, Radeef Mustafa, who is a member of the Kurdish Human Rights Committee, faced disciplinary proceedings by a government-controlled lawyers` syndicate.
"To date, Syrian officials have denied all registration requests from human rights groups," the report said.
There was no comment from the Syrian government. Officials have said country`s political prisoners have violated the Constitution, which was heavily amended during the rule of President Hafez al-Assad to entrench the Baath Party`s monopoly on power.
The Baath Party, which is now headed by Assad`s son President Bashar al-Assad, has ruled Syria since 1963 when it seized power in a coup, banning opposition and enacting an emergency law which is still in force.
The report said Human Rights Watch received "credible reports that security agencies arbitrarily detained dissidents and criminal suspects, held them incommunicado ... and subjected them to ill-treatment and torture."
"At least five detainees died in custody in 2010, with no serious investigations into their deaths by the authorities," the report said.
Syria`s Kurds, who number about 1 million out of a population of 21 million, were subjected to "systematic discrimination”, including refusal to give citizenship to an estimated 300,000 Kurds born in Syria.
The report said security forces shot at a crowd of Kurds celebrating the Kurdish New Year in the northern city of Raqqa to disperse them, killing at least one person.
"There can be no rule of law in Syria as long as its feared security services remain above the law," the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA