Syria: Annan discusses peace plan with Assad
Beirut: International envoy Kofi Annan is holding talks with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus to discuss the peace plan aimed at ending the country`s 15-month-old crisis.
That plan appears increasingly shaky following a massacre of more than 100 people, many of them women and children, last week. The UN said government forces fired tank shells and artillery at the villages that make up Houla, but stopped short of blaming them for the killings.
Activists said most of the dead were killed by pro-government thugs who stormed the area.
The Houla killings prompted sweeping international condemnation and the harshest language yet from Syrian ally Russia — making it a potential turning point in the crisis that has killed more than 9,000 people.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'