Syria: Annan discusses peace plan with Assad
Beirut: International envoy Kofi Annan is holding talks with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in Damascus to discuss the peace plan aimed at ending the country`s 15-month-old crisis.
That plan appears increasingly shaky following a massacre of more than 100 people, many of them women and children, last week. The UN said government forces fired tank shells and artillery at the villages that make up Houla, but stopped short of blaming them for the killings.
Activists said most of the dead were killed by pro-government thugs who stormed the area.
The Houla killings prompted sweeping international condemnation and the harshest language yet from Syrian ally Russia — making it a potential turning point in the crisis that has killed more than 9,000 people.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29