Syria Army to quit protest town on Thursday: General
Dara’a: Syrian troops which have kept a lockdown on the town of Daraa south of Damascus since April 25 after it became a focus of anti-regime protests are to pull back on Thursday, General Riad Haddad said.
"The Army has completed its mission in Daraa and is to begin withdrawing its troops in the next few hours," said the general, who is director of the military`s political department.
"This will be done in phases and life will return to normal in this town," he added.
Separately, a rights activist said Syrian troops arrested more than 300 people in the town of Saqba just outside Damascus on Thursday as they pressed an iron fisted crackdown on seven weeks of unprecedented protests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof