Syria: August ‘bloodiest ever month`; 5,000 killed
Damascus: Nearly 5,000 people have been killed in Syria’s escalating civil war in the month of August, activists groups have claimed.
This is the highest figure ever reported in over 17 months of fighting against the regime of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
“The past month witnessed large massacres and the regime was conducting wide operations to try to crush the uprising,” the New York Post quoted Omar Idilbi, a Cairo-based activist with the Local Coordination Committees (LCC) group, as saying.
“Last month`s acts of violence were unprecedented,” Idilbi added.
According to the paper, the UN children`s fund UNICEF put the death toll for last week alone at 1,600, the largest weekly figure for the entire uprising.
The Britain-based activist group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said that 5,440 people, including 4,114 civilians were killed in August.
According to the report, the LCC put the toll at 4,933 civilians.
The two main activists groups also released new death tolls for the entire uprising since March 2011.
The Observatory said over 26,000 have been killed, including more than 18,500 civilians.
The LCC put the death toll at more than 23,000 civilians.
According to the paper, Syria`s uprising has been the bloodiest in the Arab Spring that has already removed long-serving authoritarian leaders in Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen and Libya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days