`Syria awaits next step`s details from UN`
Damascus: Syrian Deputy Foreign Minister Faisal Mikdad said on Thursday that his country is expecting news from the UN secretariat about the next step`s details after the expiry of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria.
"The next step is the resumption of UN presence in Syria in different ways and we are expecting news from the secretariat in the coming few days," Mikdad told reporters on Thursday, reported Xinhua.
Mikdad made the remarks after meeting with General Babacar Gaye, the head of the expired UN mission.
The four-month UN observer mission in Syria expired last week.
The United Nations agreed to establish a civilian office in Damascus to keep a foothold in Syria, which is seemingly veering towards a fully-fledged civil war.
The UN Security Council has also appointed Algerian Lakhdar Brahimi as new special envoy to Syria to replace Kofi Annan, who declared his resignation earlier this month due to the incessant violence.
Syria has informed the UN that it accepts the appointment of Brahimi, Mikdad said, adding that "we look forward to working with him and hearing his ideas about the solution..."
Mikdad further said he is always optimistic that the crisis in Syria should end.
However, the Syrian deputy foreign minister accused Turkey of playing a "dangerous" role by harbouring and rendering support to the armed groups.
Syria has for long accused regional and international players of inflaming the situation in the Middle East country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof