Syria boosts chemical weapons security: Israel
Jerusalem: Israel on Tuesday revealed that the Syrian Army has increased security around the country`s chemical weapons stocks.
According to Israeli Chief of the General Staff, Lt Gen Benny Gantz, anti-Israel militant groups have not raided chemical weapons stocks, which are still being controlled by the Syrian regime.
He, however, added that the scenario could change.
Gantz made this remarks to Parliament`s foreign affairs and defence committee.
His comments were relayed by a meeting participant who spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose remarks made behind closed doors.
Israel is afraid militants like Lebanon`s Hezbollah could seize Syria`s chemical weapons should the central government in Damascus collapse.
In recent days, Israeli leaders have warned that they would be prepared to attack the weapons depots to prevent that from happening.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof