Syria boosts chemical weapons security: Israel
Jerusalem: Israel on Tuesday revealed that the Syrian Army has increased security around the country`s chemical weapons stocks.
According to Israeli Chief of the General Staff, Lt Gen Benny Gantz, anti-Israel militant groups have not raided chemical weapons stocks, which are still being controlled by the Syrian regime.
He, however, added that the scenario could change.
Gantz made this remarks to Parliament`s foreign affairs and defence committee.
His comments were relayed by a meeting participant who spoke on condition of anonymity to disclose remarks made behind closed doors.
Israel is afraid militants like Lebanon`s Hezbollah could seize Syria`s chemical weapons should the central government in Damascus collapse.
In recent days, Israeli leaders have warned that they would be prepared to attack the weapons depots to prevent that from happening.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living