Syria central bank under attacked in Damascus: Witness
Damascus: Two mortar rounds hit Syria`s central bank in the capital Damascus today causing damage, a witness said, but there were no reports of injuries.
The projectiles struck the building at around 7:40 am local time (1010 IST), the witness, a resident of a central Damascus neighbourhood, told AFP on condition of anonymity.
"One hit the roof of the building and the second hit the garage," the resident added.
The extent of the damage to the bank was unclear, but there were no initial reports of injuries in the attack and traffic was moving normally in the area on Wednesday morning.
Syrian rebels seeking to overthrow the government regularly target the centre of Damascus with mortar fire from rear bases on the outskirts of the capital.
The bank, in Damascus`s Sabaa Bahrat Square, has been targeted in violence before.
In April 2012, it was hit by a rocket propelled grenade attack, that caused damage but no injuries.
The bank was also affected by a huge suicide car bomb that detonated near Sabaa Bahrat Square in April 2013, killing at least 15 people and causing extensive damage to the surrounding area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand