Syria central bank under attacked in Damascus: Witness
Damascus: Two mortar rounds hit Syria`s central bank in the capital Damascus today causing damage, a witness said, but there were no reports of injuries.
The projectiles struck the building at around 7:40 am local time (1010 IST), the witness, a resident of a central Damascus neighbourhood, told AFP on condition of anonymity.
"One hit the roof of the building and the second hit the garage," the resident added.
The extent of the damage to the bank was unclear, but there were no initial reports of injuries in the attack and traffic was moving normally in the area on Wednesday morning.
Syrian rebels seeking to overthrow the government regularly target the centre of Damascus with mortar fire from rear bases on the outskirts of the capital.
The bank, in Damascus`s Sabaa Bahrat Square, has been targeted in violence before.
In April 2012, it was hit by a rocket propelled grenade attack, that caused damage but no injuries.
The bank was also affected by a huge suicide car bomb that detonated near Sabaa Bahrat Square in April 2013, killing at least 15 people and causing extensive damage to the surrounding area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- 45 union ministers to tour UP on Modi government's second anniversary
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi
- Left, Congress threaten to skip Mamata's swearing-in, BJP to observe black day
- FSSAI to remove potassium bromate from food additives list