Syria central bank under attacked in Damascus: Witness
Damascus: Two mortar rounds hit Syria`s central bank in the capital Damascus today causing damage, a witness said, but there were no reports of injuries.
The projectiles struck the building at around 7:40 am local time (1010 IST), the witness, a resident of a central Damascus neighbourhood, told AFP on condition of anonymity.
"One hit the roof of the building and the second hit the garage," the resident added.
The extent of the damage to the bank was unclear, but there were no initial reports of injuries in the attack and traffic was moving normally in the area on Wednesday morning.
Syrian rebels seeking to overthrow the government regularly target the centre of Damascus with mortar fire from rear bases on the outskirts of the capital.
The bank, in Damascus`s Sabaa Bahrat Square, has been targeted in violence before.
In April 2012, it was hit by a rocket propelled grenade attack, that caused damage but no injuries.
The bank was also affected by a huge suicide car bomb that detonated near Sabaa Bahrat Square in April 2013, killing at least 15 people and causing extensive damage to the surrounding area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians