Syria clashes: Syrian forces bomb rebel locations
Near Aleppo: Even as UN announced appointment of former Algerian foreign minister Lakhdar Brahimi as the Joint Special Representative for Syria, report of fresh attacks by Syrian forces surfaced on Saturday.
Syrian fighter jets launched fresh air offensive and bombed key rebel positions particularly in and around Aleppo. Civilians continue to flee the area as they are caught in the clashes between the government forces and rebels.
Meanwhile, the state television denied reports which stated that Syrian Vice President Faruq al-Shara has defected. Shara has been serving as the Vice-President since 2006.
The television further hailed the appointment of Brahimi which comes after the resignation of former UN secretary general Kofi Annan Kofi from the post after his efforts to restore peace in Syria failed.
78-year-old Brahimi has vast experience as a conflict troubleshooter.
An estimated 17,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began about 17 months ago.
(With Agencies Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news