Syria clashes: Syrian forces bomb rebel locations
Near Aleppo: Even as UN announced appointment of former Algerian foreign minister Lakhdar Brahimi as the Joint Special Representative for Syria, report of fresh attacks by Syrian forces surfaced on Saturday.
Syrian fighter jets launched fresh air offensive and bombed key rebel positions particularly in and around Aleppo. Civilians continue to flee the area as they are caught in the clashes between the government forces and rebels.
Meanwhile, the state television denied reports which stated that Syrian Vice President Faruq al-Shara has defected. Shara has been serving as the Vice-President since 2006.
The television further hailed the appointment of Brahimi which comes after the resignation of former UN secretary general Kofi Annan Kofi from the post after his efforts to restore peace in Syria failed.
78-year-old Brahimi has vast experience as a conflict troubleshooter.
An estimated 17,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began about 17 months ago.
(With Agencies Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them