Syria clashes: Syrian forces bomb rebel locations
Near Aleppo: Even as UN announced appointment of former Algerian foreign minister Lakhdar Brahimi as the Joint Special Representative for Syria, report of fresh attacks by Syrian forces surfaced on Saturday.
Syrian fighter jets launched fresh air offensive and bombed key rebel positions particularly in and around Aleppo. Civilians continue to flee the area as they are caught in the clashes between the government forces and rebels.
Meanwhile, the state television denied reports which stated that Syrian Vice President Faruq al-Shara has defected. Shara has been serving as the Vice-President since 2006.
The television further hailed the appointment of Brahimi which comes after the resignation of former UN secretary general Kofi Annan Kofi from the post after his efforts to restore peace in Syria failed.
78-year-old Brahimi has vast experience as a conflict troubleshooter.
An estimated 17,000 people, mostly civilians, have been killed in Syria since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began about 17 months ago.
(With Agencies Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?