`Syria committed to Iran`s participation in Geneva II meet`
Damascus: Syria is committed to Iran`s participation in the upcoming Geneva II peace conference, the Syrian government said Sunday.
Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al- Moallem said it`s illogical to exclude Iran for political reasons by the US and the exiled Syrian opposition, Xinhua reported.
The US and the exiled opposition have shown adamant stance regarding the participation of Iran in the Geneva II conference.
Around 30 nations are going to attend the Jan 22 conference in the city of Montreux, Switzerland and the actual negotiations between the representatives of both the government and opposition are scheduled to start two days later Jan 24 in Geneva.
The international envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, said recently that the US remained unconvinced that Iran`s participation "would be the right thing to do".
"It`s no secret that we in the United Nations welcome the participation of Iran, but our partners in the United States are still not convinced," Brahimi said Friday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!