Syria crisis: EU to hold talks with Russia
St Petersburg: In a bid to restore peace in Syria, EU officials are expected to enter into a dialogue with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday asking him to pressurise his ally President Bashar al-Assad to withdraw weapons from cities and restore normalcy.
The talks between EU officials and Putin are expected to take place during a summit here.
As part of the discussions, EU wants Russia to talk to Syria to ensure implementation of UN envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan.
Russia and China reportedly are resisting US and EU calls to condemn President Assad.
On Sunday, Assad denied that his government had anything to do with gruesome Houla massacre, saying not even "monsters" would carry out such an ugly crime.
Assad, 46, denies that there is any popular will behind the uprising, saying foreign extremists and terrorists are driving the revolt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot