Syria crisis: EU to hold talks with Russia
St Petersburg: In a bid to restore peace in Syria, EU officials are expected to enter into a dialogue with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday asking him to pressurise his ally President Bashar al-Assad to withdraw weapons from cities and restore normalcy.
The talks between EU officials and Putin are expected to take place during a summit here.
As part of the discussions, EU wants Russia to talk to Syria to ensure implementation of UN envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan.
Russia and China reportedly are resisting US and EU calls to condemn President Assad.
On Sunday, Assad denied that his government had anything to do with gruesome Houla massacre, saying not even "monsters" would carry out such an ugly crime.
Assad, 46, denies that there is any popular will behind the uprising, saying foreign extremists and terrorists are driving the revolt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre