Syria crisis: EU to hold talks with Russia
St Petersburg: In a bid to restore peace in Syria, EU officials are expected to enter into a dialogue with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday asking him to pressurise his ally President Bashar al-Assad to withdraw weapons from cities and restore normalcy.
The talks between EU officials and Putin are expected to take place during a summit here.
As part of the discussions, EU wants Russia to talk to Syria to ensure implementation of UN envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan.
Russia and China reportedly are resisting US and EU calls to condemn President Assad.
On Sunday, Assad denied that his government had anything to do with gruesome Houla massacre, saying not even "monsters" would carry out such an ugly crime.
Assad, 46, denies that there is any popular will behind the uprising, saying foreign extremists and terrorists are driving the revolt.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living