Syria crisis: EU to hold talks with Russia
St Petersburg: In a bid to restore peace in Syria, EU officials are expected to enter into a dialogue with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday asking him to pressurise his ally President Bashar al-Assad to withdraw weapons from cities and restore normalcy.
The talks between EU officials and Putin are expected to take place during a summit here.
As part of the discussions, EU wants Russia to talk to Syria to ensure implementation of UN envoy Kofi Annan’s peace plan.
Russia and China reportedly are resisting US and EU calls to condemn President Assad.
On Sunday, Assad denied that his government had anything to do with gruesome Houla massacre, saying not even "monsters" would carry out such an ugly crime.
Assad, 46, denies that there is any popular will behind the uprising, saying foreign extremists and terrorists are driving the revolt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No talks about starring with Kangana in Ritesh's next: Irrfan Khan
- Dalits refuse to dispose of dead cattle, demand protection in Gujarat
- Silsila was trashed by media at time of release: Amitabh Bachchan
- Irrfan Khan wanted to make film on Mahasweta Devi's life
- Hard to digest! 90-year-old woman comes back to life at funeral, says she met 'Yamraj'