Syria crisis getting worse: Lakhdar Brahimi
Beirut: The new UN and Arab League representative for Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, is expected to meet Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Friday.
Tasked with ending civil war in war, the former Algerian foreign minister said that the conflict is worsening.
The UN-Arab League envoy is also scheduled to meet members of the Syrian opposition today.
"We came to Syria to consult with our Syrian brothers," Brahimi said on arrival at the airport in Damascus on Thursday. "There is a crisis in Syria and I believe it is getting worse."
Brahimi replaces Kofi Annan, who left the job in frustration in August after his efforts failed to stem a conflict that started in March 2011. Activists estimate some 23,000 people have been killed in the bloodshed.
The visit comes as violence convulses the country`s largest city, Aleppo, and the outskirts of the capital, Damascus. Activists said regime forces shelled Aleppo and clashes with rebels were reported outside Damascus.
The two cities were once seen as largely immune to the violence in other parts of Syria, but have been hit by fighting as rebels try to bring the fight to symbols of Assad`s power.
Although the regime is better armed than the rebels, the government has not been able to crush the rebellion. The rebels also have failed to overthrow the regime, leading to a bloody stalemate that many fear will drag on indefinitely.
The violence has left the Assad government isolated internationally, although Iran, China and Russia support it. Brahimi met Mohammad Riza Shibani, the Iranian ambassador to Syria, on Thursday — a meeting the ambassador described as "good and fruitful”.
He also met Syrian Foreign Minister Walid al-Moallem, who stressed that any initiative should "focus on the Syrian people`s interest”, said the state-run news agency, SANA.
In Baghdad, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague said Assad`s regime is "doomed" and should not be allowed to survive after committing crimes against its people. He said a transition of power is the only way forward.
"That is the only way to avoid protracted civil war, or the collapse of the Syrian state, or an even greater flow of refugees and loss of life," Hague said at a joint news conference in Baghdad with his Iraqi counterpart, Hoshyar Zebari.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof