Syria crisis: Kurdish fighters capture key border post
Zee Media Bureau
Beirut: After days of fighting, the Kurdish fighters on Saturday managed to capture key Yaaroubiyeh post in the war-torn country, a Syrian activist group has claimed.
Yaaroubiyeh post, a crossing point on Iraqi border, was captured reportedly by the Kurdish troops after several days of clashes with fighters of al Qaeda-linked factions Jabhat al-Nusra and the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant, said the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
Reports of capture of the Yaaroubiyeh post came shortly after Syrian state-run TV reported that the head of Jabhat al-Nusra, Abu Mohammad al-Golani, was killed in Latakia without giving any further details.
However, Golani`s death was not confirmed as there was no contact with Golani, the Observatory had said.
Meanwhile, around 20,000 armed opposition groups are fighting in Syria, a United Nations official has said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre