Syria crisis: UN decides to call back staff over security concerns
Beirut: As situation deteriorates in Syria with heavy bombardments in the vicinity of Damascus, United Nations has decided to call back its international staff from Syria as a safety measure.
As the rebels are trying to capture the Syrian capital, the government took violent measures to stop them. As a result death and destruction became ubiquitous in parts of the capital.
Radhouane Nouicer, U.N.`s regional humanitarian coordinator for Syria showed grave concerns as Syria succumbs to a civil war. He said that the security situation has become “extremely difficult” and its time to act.
It is reported that up to 25 people who are a part of UN will exit by next week.=
Today the Syrian air force also launched airstrikes on the northern city of Aleppo, some cities in the northern province of Idlib and the Mediterranean city of Latakia.
The Damascus suburbs have been opposition strongholds since the uprising against Assad began in March 2011. In the past weeks, the army has pressed an offensive to regain lost territory near the capital, including two air bases. The Observatory said there was also ongoing fighting in towns near the Damascus International Airport on the southern edge of the city. The towns include Aqraba, Beit Saham and Yalda.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport