Syria crisis: US strike to be ‘limited and proportional’, says Obama
Zee Media Bureau/Neha Attre
Washington: Ahead of Congress voting on Syria crisis next week, President Barack Obama on Tuesday said that any US strike in the strife-torn country would be “limited and proportional.”
Obama expressed confidence of Congress support on Syria after the backing of senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham who said that they were in favour of military action in Syria.
Meanwhile, French Prime Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault decided to postpone the call for Parliamentary Board voting on the Syria crisis till the Congress vote.
The United States has accused Assad regime for Aug 21 attack, which Washington says claimed 1429 lives. Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has vehemently denied the claims.
Even US Secretary of State John Kerry said during a television interview that it has proof that dedly Sarin gas was used by the Syrian regime.
Assad also warning that any military intervention would exacerbate the chaos in the entire region.
Comparing the Middle East to a "powder keg", Assad said "the fire is approaching today" and the entire region would explode.
Around two million Syrians have reportedly fled the country since the uprising in the country in 2011 and the figure is expected to touch 3.5 million by end of the year, a United Nations report has stated.
A joint missile test by Israel and United States took place in Mediterranean Sea on Tuesday fuelling fear of an attack on Syria.
The Russian Defence Ministry had earlier detected the launch of two ballistic “objects” towards the eastern Mediterranean from the central part of the sea, but there were no signs of any missile strike in Damascus, Russia`s state-run RIA news agency said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery