Syria death toll rises to 24: Rights group
Nicosia: Syrian security forces opened fire
on civilians in several protest flashpoints, killing at least 24 people including four children, a rights group said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said 10 civilians
were killed in Homs and one outside the central city, while
five died near Damascus, two in Daraa, cradle of anti-regime
protests since March, four in the restive city of Hama and two
in the northwestern province of Idlib.
The opposition Syrian National Council had earlier
yesterday warned of the dangers of a "massacre" in Homs, which
activists say has been surrounded by government forces for the
past two months.
The Britain-based Observatory described the city of Homs
"as the capital of martyrs" and said two children, aged 10 and
12, were among the 10 people killed there by security forces
A 14-year boy was fatally wounded in nearby Aqrab, the
Five other civilians were killed near Damascus, including
one in the protest hub of Douma, the Observer said, adding
that a woman and child died in Daraa while four people were
killed in Hama and two others, including a 15-year-old boy,
died in Maaret Noman, in Idlib province.
Pro-democracy activists had called on citizens to take to
the streets in support of a "dignity strike... which will lead
to the sudden death of this tyrant regime."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth